Things To Do
In an effort to provide our residents with information that we hope will be helpful, interesting, or fun, we may sometimes include information from other organizations. Inclusion of this information in no way constitutes endorsement by the COA or the Town of Carlisle. Additional note: some websites provided may collect ’cookies’.
EXERCISE CLASS ALTERNATIVES
- Sarah Hanley will be offering virtual SAMA classes via ZOOM. She has a full schedule of classes for both children and adults. The cost is $15/class or a 10- class pass for $100. Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org for a schedule and details.
- Linda Sango has submitted a Tai Chi and Qigong You Tube site. LINK HERE for Jeff Cote’s site.
- LINK HERE for You Tube “chair yoga” videos. LINK HERE for You Tube meditation videos. Try searching for your favorite exercise!
- Katrina Rotondi has created several You Tube classes.
- If you have participated in one of the sessions that Elisabeth Bojarski has done or are very familiar with Reiki and you would like to try Distant Reiki, contact Linda Cavallo-Murphy at email@example.com and let her know and Elisabeth will contact you to discuss the process.
- National Emergency Library - During this unprecedented time in history, access to printed books is becoming difficult forcing students, educators, an the public at large to rely on digital books. The Internet Archive has temporarily suspended all wait lists, allowing for immediate check-out of the 1.4 million books currently in the lending library. This will be available until June 30 or the end of the National Emergency (which ever comes later). LINK HERE for the announcement information.
- Digital Public Library of America - LINK HERE for access to over 37 million images, texts, videos, and sounds from across the United States.
- BookFinder.com - LINK HERE to find used books, rare books, textbooks, new and out- of-print books. Compare book prices, including shipping, from over 100,000 booksellers worldwide.
- Library of Congress Audio Archives - LINK HERE for audio collections in original sound format. (NOTE: you can use the search function at the top of the page to search for anything digital in the library.)
- FREE Access to Ancestry.com during the pandemic Log in through the Gleason Library with your library card for free access to their database: LINK HERE
- From Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street: Our online cooking school is free through April for anyone who wants to use their time at home to brush up on their cooking skills. Courses on improvising in the kitchen to cooking with the Instant Pot. LINK HERE
- Frank Lloyd Wright Sites - LINK HERE for virtual tours of sites at 1:00 pm each Thursday.
- Kennedy Space Center - LINK HERE for videos of all things space!
- DOROT - University Without Walls - LINK HERE for access to hundreds of classes.
BOARD GAMES ON-LINE
- Tabletopia- LINK HERE Gleason Library staff is ready and willing to set you up with some on-line game playing classics like Backgammon, Parcheesi, etc.
- Game resources from Abha Singhal.
- Buckingham Palace, London
- Machu Picchu
- Northern Lights
- The Pyramids
- The Great Wall of China
- Tour of Rome
- Statue of Liberty - views from the torch, crown, inside the copper statue, and elsewhere on Liberty Island.
- AirPano - photos of the most significant and interesting corners of the Earth.
- Berliner Philharominker Digital Concert Hall Live or on-demand .
- Exoplanets NASA Exoplanet Exploration - planets beyond our solar system.
- LegoLand - Virtual tour of Hotel Legoland.
- NASA, Langley Research Centre virtual tour.
- The Kennedy Centre Digital Stage
- Walt Disney Parks - Virtual explore the Walt Disney parks through Google Street View.
- Wellcome Collection, London - Museum and library that aims to challenge how we all think and feel about health.
Explore.org - Multimedia organization with growing library of original films and photographs, and live webcams from around the world.
Street Art with Google: Explore street art through audio tours
Google Arts & Culture: 360 degree - search for destinations around the world.
NPR - Coronavirus - List of live virtual concerts from around the world. Some are free. Some require registration or a subscription. The list is updated frequently LINK HERE.
Newport Mansions Virtual Exhibition Tours.
- Virtual Happy Birthday - Free during isolation - Singing telegrams done through a variety of on-line communications to children ages 2 to 12 and Seniors in New England from Kevin Driscoll. Contact Kevin at 617-901-6232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From Carlisle School Superintendent Jim O’Shea: LINK HERE for family activities including zoos, national parks, museums
- Submitted by Jon Golden -streaming music from Carlisle’s Responders - LINK HERE
- Jic Davis - Batar (one string bass, 10 string guitar), keyboard, vocals
- Mac Ritchey - Fretless electric guitar, guitars, percussion, keyboards, vocals
- George Middleton - Guitars, vocals
- Emile Faucher - Vocals, melodica
- Jon Golden - Drums, percussion
- Marshall Goff - Guitars
- Poetry Bog of Patti Russo - LINK HERE
- Carlisle Virtual Arts and Culture Showcase - LINK HERE Carlisle is jam-packed with talent and the Carlisle Cultural Council has created a way to share it! This virtual showcase is the place for any and all Carlisle residents to share their talents with the community in a time when we cannot share in person. Use it often as content is added regularly.
ANIMALS AND ZOOS
- Atlanta Zoo panda webcam.
- Cincinnati Zoo During the month of May scroll down to watch videos of the zoo youngsters.
- Dublin Zoo On-line ed activities and animal webcams.
- Edinburgh Zoo
- Explore.org - live animal webcams.
- Florida Aquarium
- International Wolf Center
- Kansas City Zoo
- Melbourne Zoo
- National Aquarium, USA
- National Zoo, Washington DC
- San Diego Zoo, California
- Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington DC
- Yellowstone National Park
From Ann James and Ann Quenin:
- Courses from Ivy League schools - LINK HERE
- Virtual Tour of 5 National Parks - LINK HERE
- Virtual visit to the New England Aquarium -LINK HERE
- Boston Symphony Orchestra - At Home Listening - LINK HERE
From Abha Singhal:
- Viking TV invites you Monday through Saturday to concerts, art exhibits, tours, museums and lectures. They are streamed live at 2pm EST.
From Elisabeth Bojarski:
From John Ballantine:
- Project Syndicate produces and delivers original, high-quality commentaries to a global audience.
- The Conversation US arose out of deep-seated concerns for the fading quality of our public discourse – and recognition of the vital role that academic experts can play in the public arena. At the top of the page are topics you can click on to get articles.
From Jerry Lerman:
- Cornell Ornithology La- Free bird cams
- Cornell Ornithology Lab- Videos, open lectures, course, and games.
From Mike Hanauer:
- TED Talk - Happiness and Relationships and What Really Matters given by psychiatrist Robert Waldinger, Director of the Harvard Study of Adult Development.
From Alan Lewis: A collection of links to museums around the world.
- Anne Franke Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- British Museum, London
- Guggenheim, Bilbao, Spain
- Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, Russia
- Louvre Museum, Paris
- MASP, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Metropolitan Museum, New York
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris
- Musei Vaticani, Vatican City
- Museum Of London Docklands
- National Gallery Of Arts, Washington DC
- National Gallery, London
- National Museum of US Air Forces
- National History Museum. London
- Palestine Museum
- Picasso Museum. Barcelona
- Rijks Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Salvatore Dali Museum, Figueres, Spain
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- The Museum of Flight
- US Holocaust Museum on-line exhibits.
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Women’t History Museum - on-line exhibits, Virginia
- Yale Centre for British Art