Safe Storage of Guns
If not under your direct control, or under the direct control of some other person with the proper FID or LTC, all guns must be stored in a locked container or equipped with a tamper resistant mechanical lock or other safety device. The penalty for each violation of this law can be severe: up to $10,000 in fines and ten years imprisonment in state prison, and revocation of your LTC or FID. All guns should be stored unloaded and the ammunition should be locked up in a separate location from the guns.
Safe Handling of Guns
- Always handle a gun as if it were loaded.
- Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot.
- Never squeeze the trigger or put your finger in the trigger guard until you are aiming at the target you intend to shoot.
- Never shoot at a hard surface, such as a rock, or a liquid surface, such as water. A bullet may ricochet and travel in any direction to strike an object you did not intend to hit
- Always be absolutely sure of your target and the area behind it before you squeeze the trigger. A bullet could travel through or past your target up to 1 1/2 miles. If in doubt, do not shoot
- Always use the mechanical safety on your gun (if equipped). Keep in mind that the best safety on a gun is you keeping your finger off the trigger.
Safe Transportation of Guns
To transport a gun in your vehicle, you must have the proper permit to possess the gun, either an FID or LTC. The gun must be unloaded, and securely stored by locking it in the truck, a locked case, or other secure container.